What Is an Annulment?
Procuring an Annulment with Our Long Island Family Law Attorneys
Getting a marriage annulled can be an incredibly difficult process. Done
correctly and with the proper legal guidance, however, annulment could
be a viable option for your particular family matter. By declaring a marriage
null and void, it will be as though the marriage never even happened.
Unlike divorce, annulment can only be granted on the following grounds:
- Either spouse is incurably incapable of having sexual intercourse.
- Either spouse had not reached the age of legal consent at the time of marriage.
- Either spouse is incurably insane for at least five years of the marriage.
- Either spouse could not give consent to the marriage due to insanity, incapacity,
- Either spouse consented to the marriage as a result of force, duress, or threat.
- Either spouse was obtained by fraud.
In some circumstances, a marriage won't need to go through the process
of annulment; rather, an action to declare the nullity of a void marriage
will need to be obtained. In circumstances of incestuous marriage, bigamous
marriage, or a marriage that has not been solemnized, the marriages will
be viewed automatically void by the courts.
Protecting Your Interests in Complex Marital Issues
Just as with divorce, annulment can be an incredibly emotional process
as well as a tedious legal procedure. Once a marriage has been declared
void, the separated couple will still have to tend to complex matters
of agreeing on issues pertaining to their children, property, and money.
Decisions to be addressed may include:
- Child custody and child support
- Spousal support (alimony)
- Property, asset, and debt distribution
Call Our Long Island & Nassau County Divorce Lawyers Today
No matter how long, intimate, brief, or contentious your marriage was,
coming to terms with the fact that a chapter of your life must now close
can be an exhaustive, overwhelming, and sensitive time. Many people can
feel significant guilt or grief during divorce and annulment. We understand
just how life-changing an annulment can be for your entire family and
strive to provide you with the personal, focused, and attentive legal
care that you deserve.
Contact The Virdone Law Firm, P.C.
today and request a
free case consultation
to sit down with us as we discuss the specifics of your situation in confidence.