Steps to Follow During an Adoption
Long Island Family Law Attorneys
Before adopting a child, it will be important to realize that the process can be lengthy and, at times, incredibly frustrating. If you are unaware of your rights, your options, or the process in general, an already nuanced legal process can become even more entangled in complexities and challenges. Fortunately, our Long Island family law and divorce attorneys at The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. are ready to help you through every step of the adoption process from beginning to end.
New York's Adoption Process
Every adoption will be carried out in its own unique way. Although there are several required steps to complete in order to finalize an adoption, there are also many issues that could change the process slightly along the way.
Below, you will find some of the general steps to follow during the process of adoption in New York:
- Choose an attorney to represent your family - Perhaps one of the most fundamental steps in the entire process, retaining an attorney is essential to protecting your rights and making sure everything is legal. Your legal counselor can be at your side every step of the way.
- Consent to an adoption - Before choosing an adoption agency or attending an agency-approved orientation session, you must first seek consent from the child's birth parents or current guardians to adopt.
- Contact the courts and complete paperwork - The courts may require you to submit an application and medical history complete with a full background check. You may also be required to complete a Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment screening.
- Complete the home study process - Your family will be required to meet with an agency staff member. The staff member will assess your home and determine whether the environment is suitable for a child. If approved, you can attend an agency-sponsored training session as you work with caseworkers to visit the prospective child.
- Notification of court date - The courts will notify you or your attorney of your court hearing date. Once your hearing takes place, the courts will assess your ability to adopt.
- Finalization of adoption - After the child is placed in your home, you will need to work closely with the child's caseworker during a period of supervision. An adoption certification will be issued.
In addition to the above-mentioned steps, you may want to consider working with your lawyer to complete the necessary steps to apply for and obtain adoption subsidies, medical subsidies, and reimbursement of nonrecurring adoption expenses. We can also help you obtain post-adoption services, if needed.
If you wish to learn more about the adoption process in Long Island, New York, please call our firm today!
"Mr. Virdone is the BEST lawyer I've ever seen and worked with. Being an out of state Dad makes everything so much more difficult to fight and represent myself. New York denied me a DNA test do to me not having been properly served by a processes server. "M.H.
"John is very knowledgeable. He clearly explained my options and provided guidance and with his expects assistance I was able to get an excellent Grandparent visitation settlement within three court visits, I highly recommend him."L.C.
"John Virdone is an extremely honest and compassionate litigator. I have not met a more honest and ethical Attorney. He helped us get custody of our grandson. He knows the law!! He had our grandchild's best interest in mind when he took our case. We were no"S.C. Colorado
"How can I express my gratitude to Kira Schettino for taking the time and effort to prepare my case and represent me in court? Believe me, you have my complete admiration and respect for a job well done! I am also grateful to Amy Wilder my Social Worker for"J.K.
"John Virdone is simply an outstanding litigator. He represented me in the Queens County Family Court in a highly contested grandparent custody/visitation matter that was on going for more than two years. My case was exceptionally difficult. Many attorneys "Rachel