Free Consultations 516.858.2648
Child Support Decisions Can Be Appealed. Put Our Experience on Your Side in the Courtroom.

Child Support Appeals Attorney in Long Island

Can I Appeal A Child Support Order?

Child support is the amount of money parents are ordered by the court to pay in order to help provide for the child's needs, such as food, housing, shelter, medical care, educational costs and more. These types of orders are usually given upon a divorce or separation.

Contesting a child support order typically requires a process that differs from the usual appeals process:

  • If the order was issued by a support magistrate, the person who disagrees with the decision must first make written objections concerning the support magistrate's order and then file these objections with the family court.
  • The objections are then reviewed by a judge, who makes a decision and an order.
  • After that, the person trying to contest the order can then move forward with the regular appeals process, if the judge's decision is not in his or her favor.

When a person appeals a court decision, he or she is asking the appellate court to review all the evidence that was submitted in the previous case and determine whether the initial decision was merited. The appellate judge will look for any errors that the previous judge made, such as whether information was incorrectly used to reach the decision or whether the law was not applied in the right way. Examples of information that might play a major factor in a child support case include the income of each parent and the amount of time each parent spends with the child.

Retain a Lawyer for Child Support Appeals in Long Island

In your written objection and appeal, you will need to file paperwork and possibly speak before the court in order to argue why the original decision should be reversed or changed in some other way. You will want to make sure that you carry out these actions in the most effective manner possible so that you can increase your chances of obtaining your desired outcome.

If you believe that the court made a poor decision in deciding your child support case, then it is important that you take immediate action to try and get that decision overturned. Sometimes, one parent might be ordered to pay little or too much in child support. If you feel that the child support order was made unfairly or erroneously, our divorce and family law attorneys from The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. can help you take the appropriate steps to appeal the court order.

Contact The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. to get the high-quality legal support you need. Our family law firm takes the time to answer their clients' questions and addresses any concerns they might have. Free initial case reviews!