Parent Relocation

Long Island Parent Relocation Lawyers

Our NY Divorce Lawyers Can Assist with Relocation Cases

There are times when it is necessary to move to a different city or even a different country. Personal situations such as career, a new marriage, job offers and financial problems can lead to the need to change where you live. If children are part of a former marriage, you do not have the right to change your location without approval of the court if you have shared custody or visitation.

Any issue that requires a change will be looked at closely by the court before approval. Although your concerns will be considered, the primary focus will be the best interests of the child. If you currently have physical custody of your children, relocation could lead to a change in child custody. The children and their future will always be considered as paramount when making a decision regarding parental relocation.

The court considers all aspects of the request to relocate, including your own needs. If you are the primary custodial parent, all aspects of the child or children's lives will be looked into to determine what effect a move will have on their future, personally, educationally and emotionally. In many cases, if the children are doing well in their current location, the parent that remains in the area may get custody, and visitation will be arranged for the parent who needs to relocate.

The Virdone Law Firm Relocation Legal Counsel

Each case is unique, and we can assist you in getting these matters addressed. We are very familiar with all New York divorce law regarding relocation and can advise you what to expect and how we will present your case to seek a favorable outcome to your request.

Relocation or moving away beyond a short distance will require approval by the court. When addressing this matter, it is imperative that you have the support of a family law and divorce attorney from The Virdone Law Firm, P.C.. We can review your situation and advise you what to expect. We are able to carefully prepare your request to the court with supporting documentation that can increase the potential of a favorable outcome.

Contact a New York move-away lawyer when you need to relocate.



Our Testimonials

  • "John helped me and my family through the medicaid process for a loved one from beginning to end. John was always there for us, promptly returning our calls, emails, etc. John was knowledgeable, efficient, compassionate, kind and understanding. He was so ea"
    Former Client
  • "John is a man of integrity, skill and knowledge. He represented me in a viciously contentious custody matter involving parental alienation and he did an outstanding job. As an attorney myself (corporate law), I have met hundreds of attorneys in my 25 years"
    Anthony C.
  • "I'm a returning client of Mr. Virdone, my new case is support modification. I just injured my foot which require surgery and a 3-4 month recovery time. My ex an I do not talk at all. Communicating with the court is impossible (phone just rings) to inform t"
  • "Kira Schettino, this is just a note of appreciation for the long and tiring battle, we did win!! Many thanks for all your hard work. I wish you lots of success for all future cases."
  • "John Virdone is an exceptional lawyer for grandparent's rights. He represented us in our grandparent custody case. Thanks to his expertise at our trial, we the grandparents won. He explained every step of the way and answered all of our questions. He is th"
    Linda D. and Vinnie D.