Long Island Paternity Lawyer
Navigating Paternity Challenges in New York
At The Virdone Law Firm, P.C., our experienced team of family law attorneys is committed to helping families navigate the complexities of paternity issues in New York. We understand the unique challenges in paternity cases and are here to provide compassionate and skilled legal representation to both mothers and fathers. Whether you seek to establish paternity or defend against a paternity claim, we are here to guide you through the process.
Call The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. today at (516) 858-2648 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our paternity attorney in Long Island!
What is Paternity?
Paternity, simply put, is the legal recognition of a man as the father of a child. Establishing paternity is essential for several reasons, including:
- Child Support: Once paternity is established, it becomes legally binding for the father to provide child support. This is crucial in ensuring children receive the financial support they need to thrive.
- Child Custody and Visitation: Determining paternity plays a significant role in deciding child custody and visitation arrangements. It helps both parents establish their rights and responsibilities.
- Healthcare and Inheritance: Paternity also affects a child's rights to healthcare benefits and inheritance. It ensures that the child has access to vital services and any financial benefits they may be entitled to.
Establishing Paternity in New York
In the state of New York, there are several methods for establishing paternity:
- Voluntary Acknowledgment: The most straightforward way to establish paternity is through voluntary acknowledgment. Both parents can sign an Acknowledgment of Paternity form, typically at the hospital after the child's birth. This legal document is then filed with the appropriate state agency, affirming the father's rights and responsibilities.
- Court Order: If one or both parties refuse to acknowledge paternity, it may be necessary to obtain a court order. In such cases, our experienced Long Island paternity lawyers can guide you through the legal process, which may involve DNA testing to determine the child's biological father conclusively.
- Paternity by Estoppel: In some cases, a man who has acted as a child's father for an extended period may be considered the legal father, even if he is not the biological parent. This doctrine, known as paternity by estoppel, is complex and typically arises in unique situations.
- Presumed Paternity: The law presumes a husband to be the father of a child born during a marriage. However, legal action can challenge this presumption if the husband is not the biological father.
Our dedicated Long Island paternity attorneys are well-versed in the intricacies of New York paternity law. We will help you determine the most appropriate method for establishing paternity, guide you through the legal process, and protect your rights and obligations.
How Long Does a Father Have to Establish Paternity?
It's crucial to address paternity matters promptly, as there are specific time limits within which paternity can be established in New York. These limitations may vary depending on the circumstances:
- Child Support: Generally, there is no time limit for a mother to seek child support from the child's father. Child support can be pursued at any time while the child is a minor or even after they have reached the age of majority.
- Child Custody and Visitation: Establishing paternity for child custody and visitation rights can occur anytime. However, addressing these issues as soon as possible is advisable to ensure the child's best interests are met.
- Challenging Paternity: If a man wishes to challenge paternity, it is essential to act promptly. There are specific time limits within which a legal challenge can be made after discovering new information or evidence regarding paternity.
While the timing of paternity establishment is essential, it's equally important to approach these matters with the guidance of a knowledgeable Long Island paternity lawyer to ensure that the legal process is executed correctly.
Contact Our Long Island Paternity Attorney Today
Paternity matters are of utmost significance, impacting parents' lives and, most importantly, the child's well-being. At The Virdone Law Firm, P.C., we are dedicated to providing top-notch legal representation in Long Island paternity cases. Our experienced attorneys will work tirelessly to protect your rights, guide you through the complexities of paternity law, and ensure that your child's best interests are served.
Contact The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. today to schedule a consultation with our paternity lawyer in Long Island!
"I was expertly represented during my divorce. John took the time to fully listen to my concerns, and gave me his undivided personal attention. I hope that you don't have to go through divorce, but if you do, use JOHN VIRDONE."Grace Johnson
"John is a man of integrity, skill and knowledge. He represented me in a viciously contentious custody matter involving parental alienation and he did an outstanding job. As an attorney myself (corporate law), I have met hundreds of attorneys in my 25 years"Anthony C.
"John helped me and my family through the medicaid process for a loved one from beginning to end. John was always there for us, promptly returning our calls, emails, etc. John was knowledgeable, efficient, compassionate, kind and understanding. He was so ea"Former Client
"Mr. Virdone is the BEST lawyer I've ever seen and worked with. Being an out of state Dad makes everything so much more difficult to fight and represent myself. New York denied me a DNA test do to me not having been properly served by a processes server. "M.H.
"When I consulted with John Virdone, I was touched by his considerate attitude and knowledge of what I was dealing with in my ex-husband's belated challenge to my divorce decree. Mr Virdone was honest in his concerns about my case and encouraging of my maki"Former Client