SUFFOLK COUNTY DIVORCE LAWYER
Competent Legal Professional Handling Family Law Matters
Are you going through divorce or another difficult family law matter? If so, you are probably facing a great amount of stress. Family-related legal matters can be emotionally, mentally and financially draining. By turning to a competent Suffolk County divorce law lawyer, you will likely be able to make this process go much smoother. You will also be able to ensure that you are taking the steps that that are most beneficial for both you and your family.
At The Virdone Law Firm, P.C., we have a legal team that is dedicated to providing you with personalized service and client-tailored solutions. We are also honest with our clients from the beginning about the costs of our services and the ways in which we can provide assistance, so you do not have to worry about hidden agendas when you work with our law firm. Our goal is to help your resolve your family law matter in the best way possible.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation. Call (516) 858-2648!
Types of Family Law Matters We Handle
When couples go through divorce, there are usually many different types of issue they will have to deal with. Because they shared certain income and property during marriage, these individuals will need to determine how these assets will be divided through equitable distribution. This involves determining what property is considered "separate" and what property is considered "marital." It is important to be aware that different rules apply when it comes to dividing certain benefits in military divorces. Furthermore, when a couple has children, the divorcing individuals will need to make important decisions concerning child support and child custody, which determine how the children will be cared for and financially supported by each parent.
When divorces and family law matters are handled through agreements made outside of court, the parties involved can usually save time and money and can have a greater amount of control over the outcomes of their cases. When the parties involved cannot agree, their cases then need to be handled in court where a judge can provide court orders regarding the previously mentioned issues. The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. offers aggressive representation both in an out of the courtroom. Other types of family law matters our attorneys handle include those relating to father's rights, grandparents' rights, nuptial agreements, separation agreements and many other areas.
About Suffolk County, NY
Suffolk County makes up the central and eastern part of Long Island, New York. This county is situated in the New York metropolitan area and is the state's fourth-most-populous county, based on 2010 census data. In 2010, the state had 1,493,350 residents. According to the U.S. Census Bureau's estimate, that population increased to 1,499,273 residents in 2012. In Suffolk County, divorce and separation issues fall under the Supreme Court's jurisdiction; however, the Family Court in Suffolk County is able to handle post-divorce proceedings (such as modifications) that relate to issues of child custody, child support and visitation, according to the New York State Unified Court System. It can also handle other family law matters.
Importance of Having Legal Representation
When you are dealing with a family law matter, you are likely dealing with issues that affect your family relationships and your future financial stability. For this reason, it is vital that you have a strong lawyer protecting your rights and your best interests. Family-related legal matters, including divorces, can become very heated and lead to intense legal battles. With a capable lawyer by your side, you can potentially avoid such battles or better protect yourself when these ordeals occur. Our Suffolk County divorce lawyers are ready to answer your questions about your case and provide you with guidance each step of the way.
Contact our firm online or call (516) 858-2648 to obtain a free initial review of your case!
Suffolk County Resources
Why Choose the Virdone Law Firm?
FREE Initial Case Consultations
Efficient, Cost-Effective Representation
Tailored Solutions to Meet Your Unique Needs
Nearly a Century of Combined Experience
John Virdone, ESQ
Long Island Divorce & Family Law Attorney
John Virdone, Esq. is a founding partner of The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. Prior to founding the firm, John was a senior associate at Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. He has a multi-faceted background in complex civil litigation, business law, and family law. John is a recognized expert on complex custody matters and is the regular attorney lecturer for local chapters of national organizations representing grandparental rights.
- Member of the State and Federal Bars of New York and New Jersey
- Member of the Bar of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member of the Bar of the United States Supreme Court
- John Virdone, Financial Options for Cash Strapped Seniors, Newsli.com, January 2009
- John Virdone and Jerome Wisselman, Intrafamily Wiretapping in Custody Disputes , New York Family Law Monthly, May/June, 2006
- John Virdone and Jerome A. Wisselman, Recent Amendments Do Not Abrogate Bennett v. Jeffreys Requirements , New York Family Law Monthly, July/August, 2005 (Grandparents rights)
- Speaker, monthly since 2010, Parenting Resource Network, Friedberg Jewish Community Center
- Speaker, monthly since 2008, Long Island Kinship Care Connection
- Speaker, monthly since 2008, National Committee of Grandparents for Children's Rights
- Speaker, monthly in 2010 & 2011, Hispanic Counseling Center
- Speaker, monthly in 2009 & 2010, Child Care Council, Inc.
- Speaker, 2008 Jazz it Up Nassau Senior Event, Nassau Community College
- Speaker, 2008 Legal Workshop Program: The Impact of Abuse & Neglect, Domestic Violence and Mental Illness on Custody and Visitation. Port Washington Yacht Club, Port Washington, New York, May 4th 2007
- Speaker, 2008, Town of East Hampton Senior Center
- Speaker, 2008, Town of Southampton Senior Center
- Speaker, 2008, YES Community Center
- Speaker, 2007 Legal Workshop Program: "A Legal Perspective of Marital and Domestic Issues Portrayed in American Film," Port Washington Yacht Club, Port Washington, New York, May 4th 2007
- Speaker, 2006 Legal Workshop Program: "The Battle for Custody of Brittany Simmons: In the Best Interests of the Child? Port Washington Yacht Club, Port Washington, New York, April 7th and May 19th 2006, and on August 14, 2006 at St. Joseph's College, Patchogue, NY for L.I. Child and Family Development Service, Inc. ("L.I. HeadStart") members
- Speaker, 2005 Legal Workshop Program: "War of the Roses: Case Study of a Family in Crisis" An Exchange Between Legal and Mental Health Professionals, Port Washington Yacht Club, Port Washington, New York, April 15th , May 13th and June 10th 2005
- City University of New York School of Law 1994 Flushing, NY (Juris Doctor)
- State University of New York at Stony Brook 1989 Stony Brook, NY Bachelors of Arts
- L.I. Child and Family Development Services, Inc, Certificate of Appreciation- 2006
- Association Castelvetranesi D'America, Ltd, Man of the Year Award-1999
- Columbian Lawyers Association- Scholarship, 1993-94
- Commission for Social Justice Order Sons of Italy, Certificate of Appreciation-1992
Roberta Horne, ESQ
Roberta Horne is of counsel to The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. Ms. Horne has been practicing matrimonial and family law on Long Island and in New York City for over twenty years. She handles complex litigation in both divorce actions and in family court proceedings, including contests over equitable distribution of marital assets, custody and visitation disputes including relocation, paternity issues,financial support for children and spouses, and orders of protection. Ms. Horne also handles estate planning, probate and estate administration in Surrogate’s Court.
- St. John University School of Law (J.D. 1988)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Attorney panel member for the NYS Surrogate Decision-Making Committee for Mentally Disabled since 2001
- Matrimonial and Family Law
- Custody and Visitation
- Child and Spousal Support
- Civil Litigation
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
Bernard H. Segal, ESQ Attorney
Bernard H. Segal is of counsel to The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. For over 46 years, Mr. Segal has specialized in criminal defense matters and complex litigation. He has handled thousands of criminal cases both misdemeanors and felonies. He has extensive experience with all phases of criminal litigation, including grand jury indictment hearings, arraignments, hearings to suppress evidence/statements, motion practice and jury trials. Mr. Segal acquired his extensive trial experience first with the New York Legal Aid Society, Criminal Defendant Division, where he worked for 23 years as Supervising Attorney. Mr. Segal supervised a team of 30 attorneys in that capacity and also served as a Trainer and Lecturer for other attorneys. Later, he developed a private practice in Manhattan, serving clients for over 23 more years.
Mr. Segal's experience also includes complex child custody trials; trials with respect to orders of protection and family offense petitions; and family court neglect/abuse trials.
- Rutgers University (B.A. 1964)
- Rutgers School of Law (J.D. 1968)
- New York State
- Criminal Defense
- Family Law
- Custody and Visitation
- Abuse/Neglect Proceedings