When going through a divorce, it can feel overwhelming to have to deal with everything in addition to your everyday life. Handling your finances, dealing with a change in your living situation, helping your children cope through this time, and navigating through the legal process can be a lot to handle without a little bit of organization.
We have put together a simple divorce checklist below to help you keep on track and avoid common mistakes that many people make during their divorces.
- Obtain a copy of your credit report. This is something good to do at both the beginning and end of your divorce. It is important to make sure you do not have any debts in your name that you forgot about.
- Procure a P.O. Box to have all of your mail sent to during your divorce. This will help keep your spouse from opening and reading your personal mail.
- Make a new email address and update your passwords online. This includes not only your email password, but also passwords for social media and any other online accounts. This can help prevent your spouses from getting in and viewing private information.
- Make copies of all of your divorce and financial documents. It is important to do this before your divorce really gets started so that your spouse cannot try to hide or withhold certain paperwork.
- Write out your parenting schedule on an actual calendar. Don't just create this schedule in your head or you may miss things.
- Get together a checklist of all the items you need to remember regarding parenting issues. You can then reference this checklist to make sure you don't forget anything during the divorce process.
- Be sure to make a Will and update all of your beneficiaries on all retirement accounts and other policies. This can help to prevent your spouse from inheriting anything on accident.
- Secure all of your personal affects prior to starting your divorce. This way you can protect all of your valuables and personal items without any fear of your ex taking them.
For experienced Nassau County divorce lawyers, call The Virdone Law Firm, P.C. We have a history of success helping individuals throughout New York in securing a favorable divorce settlement that fits their unique needs.
Do not go through this time alone – call our NY divorce firm today for a free consultation!